Marketplace of the European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities (EIP-SCC Marketplace)
Bringing together cities, industries, SMEs, investors, researchers and other smart city actors
Today, approx. 78% of European citizens live in cities, and 85% of the EU’s GDP is generated there. Many European cities are forerunners in the much-needed transition towards a low carbon, resource efficient and competitive economy. Cities are central to delivering on key challenges for Europe’s society and economy: jobs, growth and investment, innovation, energy efficiency, low-carbon development and CO2-Reduction – to name a few. Linking and upgrading infrastructures, technologies and services in key urban sectors (transport, buildings, energy, ICT) in a smart way will improve quality of life, competitiveness and sustainability of Europe's cities.
But we are still facing a number of challenges: markets are often fragmented, missing out on their full economic potential; many innovative solutions require new business models and financing solutions for decreasing risk; since demand for better infrastructures and services is high and still increasing but public budget is under pressure. To help cities and industries facing these challenges, the European Commission has launched in 2012 the European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities (EIP-SCC) as a part of its Smart Cities Programme. It aims to create an open, collaborative Marketplace for smart city solutions at the intersection of transport, energy and ICT and to drive market transformation through development and replication of solutions at large scale. EIP-SCC is driven by public and private partners who adopted a Strategic Implementation Plan (SIP) with the aim to:
- expand the Matchmaking activities to foster market uptake and to supplement the EU’s funding activities in the sector, through deal meetings, leading to an overall investment of at least € 50 million per year
- establish a new roadmap – considering the new matchmaking and market uptake focus
As of September 2019, the EIP-SCC Marketplace is run by a consortium consisting of Vito/Energyville (Belgium), DNVGL (Netherlands), Th!nk E (Belgium), Tecnalia (Spain), Steinbeis 2i (Germany), ICLEI (Germany), RdA (Portugal), Locality (Netherlands) and Tilde (Latvia).
Steinbeis 2i GmbH is responsible for dissemination and communication of all EIP activities with the aim of:
- Increasing the visibility of the Marketplace (press releases, website, podcasts, videos)
- Improving internal communication within the various projects
- External communication of project results to the public and interested stakeholders for example through the publication of a newsletter
- Organising matchmaking events and participating in events such as Smart City Expo Barcelona, Nordic Edge Stavanger, and European Sustainable Energy Week Brussels. All these events are free of charge and of interest to representatives of local authorities as well as businesses.
- Promoting replication of successful strategies and methods
Project duration: 09/2019 – 09/2022
Participating countries: all European countries