European project SmartEnCity
Towards Smart Zero CO2 Cities across Europe
SmartEnCity is a project funded under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme. Under the coordination of TECNALIA Research & Innovation, 35 partners from 6 countries are working on making Smart Zero Carbon Cities a reality in Europe.
SmartEnCity’s main objective is to develop a highly adaptable and replicable systemic approach towards urban transformation into sustainable, smart and resource-efficient urban environments in Europe. This will be achieved through the integrated planning and implementation of measures aimed at improving energy efficiency in main consuming sectors in cities, while increasing their supply of renewable energy and demonstrating the benefits.
The underlying concept is the Smart Zero Carbon City concept, where city carbon footprint and energy demand are kept to a minimum by using demand controlled technologies that save energy and promote raised awareness. At the same time, the energy supply is entirely renewable and clean and local energy resources are intelligently managed by aware citizens, as well as coordinated public and private stakeholders.
This approach will initially be defined in detail, planned and implemented in the three Lighthouse demonstrators: Vitoria-Gasteiz in Spain, Tartu in Estonia and Sønderborg in Denmark.
The three medium-sized cities will develop a number of coordinated actions aimed at:
- Achieving a significant reduction in demand in the existing residential building stock through cost-effective low energy retrofitting actions at district scale.
- Increasing the Renewable Energy Sources’ share of energy supply, through extensive leveraging of local potentials.
- Enhancing the use of clean energy in urban mobility, both for citizens and goods, by means of extensive deployment of green vehicles and infrastructure.
An extensive use of Information and Communication Technologies is planned to achieve integration and consistency in demo planning and implementation, and to enable further benefits and secure involvement of citizens. These actions will be aligned to city-specific Integrated Urban Plans, and the process will be replicated in the two Follower cities Lecce (Italy) and Asenovgrad (Bulgaria) to ensure adaptability and maximise the project’s impact. Additionally, a SmartEnCity Network of further cities will be set up to support project replication at European scale.
SEZ is project partner for innovation measures accompanying the project partners in reaching the research and innovation targets of the project:
- Supporting the process of transferring RTDI actions into marketable applications
- Communication & dissemination of RTDI results for exploitation
Project duration: 02/2016 – 07/2021
Countries: Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Spain