European project R2CITIES
Residential Renovation towards nearly zero energy CITIES
The purpose of the R2CITIES project is to develop and demonstrate replicable strategies for designing, constructing and managing large scale district renovation projects for achieving nearly zero energy cities. These results will open the way for new refurbishments on a European scale within the framework of new urban energy planning strategies.
The project partners will develop a demonstration and dissemination framework of very innovative strategies and solutions for building energy renovation at district level, based in the following pillars:
- Three demonstrations of residential district retrofitting, in different countries, climate conditions and user’s habits
- A very ambitious dissemination programme focused on public and professional audiences.
- Several studies of cost-effective solutions for the holistic improvement of the energy performance of buildings at district level (definition of standard indicators and new diagnosis approach, analysis of existing energy technologies in a systemic approach, new strategies for urban energy planning, …)
- Deployment of a rigorous measurement and verification of energy performance and savings plan for each demonstration, taking into account standard protocols as IPMVP.
- A market and replication deployment plan, in order to ensure the project impact at business level, and a results exploitation strategy suitable for achieve a wide impact.
Three demo sites will be addressed for demonstrating the framework and associated impacts by developing real cases going beyond current market standards but ensuring the replicability of the concepts deployed. The very ambitious renovation plan of three residential districts in Valladolid (Spain), Genoa (Italy) and Kartal (Turkey), will involve more than 57.000 m2, more than 850 dwellings and more than 1500 users, with a potential of energy consumption reduction close to 60%.
Project duration: 07/2013 – 06/2018
Countries: Belgium, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Spain, Turkey