European project CITyFiED
Towards high performance energy districts across Europe
The underlying purpose of CITyFiED is to develop a replicable, systemic and integrated strategy to transform European urban ecosystems into smart cities of the future. It will focus on reducing energy demand and GHG emissions while increasing the use of renewable energy sources. CITyFiED aims to achieve this by developing and implementing innovative technology and methodologies for building renovation, smart grids, district heating networks, and mobility.
Steinbeis 2i GmbH is partner for exploitation, market deployment and replication activities.
There are four main strands to CITyFiED’s activities allowing the project to fully embrace all the facets of the challenges to be addressed:
- Large scale demonstrations: three holistic district renovations at Laguna de Duero-Valladolid (Spain), Soma (Turkey) and Lund (Sweden) deploying innovative and cost-effective technologies in order to boost overall energy efficiency and to slash environmental footprint. This will include a thorough retrofit of buildings, and the implementation of pioneering concepts to enhance heating and cooling solutions.
- Clustering cities to maximise replication potential: 11 cities have chosen a district for replication measures (in Germany the city of Ludwigshafen). For each of them a feasibility study will be carried out including energy calculations as well as considerations about non technological barriers and business models.
- 40 further cities - so called communities of interest - from across Europe have expressed an interest to cluster in order to benefit from and roll out CITyFiED solutions; in Germany the Rhine-Neckar metropolitan region, the cities of Ludwigsburg, Dresden and Hamburg-Altona.
- Developing cost-effective pioneering methodologies for planning, deploying and replicating energy efficient retrofit solutions. This will include District Heating facilities and integrating distributed electricity generation.
- Dissemination of a clear message to professionals, academia and also to the general public who need to be on-board with energy efficiency measures including mobility, since user behaviour needs to adopt a more sustainable approach.
The CITyFiED consortium drawing on partners from RTD, industry, public authority, exploitation and communication, expects to induce high replication potential thus accelerating smart retrofit uptake for low energy efficient district stock by 2020. The replication plan should lead to 100 potential projects in other cities with over 500,000 dwellings retrofitted in 10 years. Business models for energy providers and SMEs are set to benefit from CITyFiED solutions and there will be wider benefits for citizens and society as a whole. Furthermore, the project outcomes will inform policy at European level and will result in raising standards in both the energy and building sectors.
CITyFiED is a 5-year endeavour co-funded by the EU and coordinated by Fundación CARTIF, Valladolid, Spain. The consortium comprises 21 partners.
Project duration: 04/2014 – 03/2019
Countries: Belgium, Germany, Spain, Sweden and Turkey