Sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply (Horizon Europe)
The transition of the energy system will rely on reducing the overall energy demand and making the energy supply side climate neutral. R&I actions will help to make the energy supply side cleaner, more secure, and competitive by boosting cost performance and reliability of a broad portfolio of renewable energy solutions, in line with societal needs and preferences. Furthermore, R&I activities will underpin the modernisation of the energy networks to support energy system integration, including the progressive electrification of demand side sectors (buildings, mobility, industry) and integration of other climate neutral, renewable energy carriers, such as clean hydrogen. Innovative energy storage solutions (including chemical, mechanical, electrical and thermal storage) are a key element of such energy system and R&I actions will advance their technological readiness for industrial-scale and domestic applications. Carbon Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS) is a CO2 emission abatement option that holds great potential and R&I actions will accelerate the development of CCUS in electricity generation and industry applications.
This Destination contributes to the following Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientations (KSO):
- C: Making Europe the first digitally enabled circular, climate-neutral and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction and production systems;
- A: Promoting an open strategic autonomy69 by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centred technologies and innovations;
It covers the following impact areas:
- Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people;
- Affordable and clean energy.
What is the goal to be achieved?
The expected impact, in line with the Strategic Plan, is to contribute to “More efficient, clean, sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply through new solutions for smart grids and energy systems based on more performant renewable energy solutions”.
Call topics for 2022
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-01: Digital solutions for defining synergies in international renewable energy value chains
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-02: AU-EU Energy System Modelling
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-03: Innovative renewable energy carrier production for heating from renewable energies
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-04: Technological interfaces between solar fuel technologies and other renewables
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-05: Renewable energy carriers from variable renewable electricity surplus and carbon emissions from energy consuming sectors
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-06: Direct renewable energy integration into process energy demands of the chemical industry
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-07: Renewable energy incorporation in agriculture and forestry
- HORIZON-CL5-2022-D3-02-08: Demonstration of complete value chains for advanced biofuel and non-biological renewable fuel production
- HORIZON-CL5-2021-D3-02-16: Innovative biomethane production as an energy carrier and a fuel
Gesamtbudget für die Destination 3: 1.226 MEUR
Destination 3 im Funding & Tenders Portal mit Auflistung der Call Topics im Arbeitsprogramm 2021-22 finden Sie hier.
Vollen Text des Arbeitsprogramms "Climate, Energy and Mobility" (2021-2022) finden Sie hier.