Smart photonics for joint communication & sensing and access everywhere - HORIZON-CL4-2024-DIGITAL-EMERGING-01-54 (RIA)
Cluster 4: Digital, Industry and Space
Smart photonics for joint communication & sensing and access everywhere (RIA)
Opening date: 15 November 2023
Deadline date: 19 March 2024
Projects are expected to contribute to the following outcomes:
- Sensors/probes to monitor the quality of the communication network and of photonic signals transported in the communication network
- Methods to use the network as large-scale distributed sensor
- Development of foundational optical technologies, systems and networks that provide the future access infrastructure
Proposals should address at least one of the following activity areas:
- Light-based solutions to let the communication network sense, while transporting data, for example
- To enhance the security and resilience of the network
- To make network resources more energy efficient
- To warn and protect against natural disasters, earthquakes etc.
- To monitor the infrastructure where the fibre is deployed (traffic, stress in bridges...)
- Light-based solutions to bring internet everywhere, with the most relevant access technologies
- Fiber to the home, fiber to the antenna or fiber to the sky (satellite), for example with coherent passive optical networks, free space optics, Lifi or optical beamforming and steering
- while enabling the integration of all access technologies in one system
This topic implements the co-programmed European Partnership Photonics.
Specific Topic Conditions:
Activities are expected to start at TRL 2 and achieve TRL 5 by the end of the project.
Find more information on the call website.